Sunday, August 24, 2014

Thanks be to God

This weekend was a tough one. I got to the barely-able-to-function point and felt like I was hanging on to the Lord by a thread. Friday was day ten of being here and waiting for our trunks to arrive with most of our luggage. Most importantly, I was missing my running shoes, a yoga mat, and almost all of the food supplies I had brought from the states. Gracious neighbors had made us meals for the first several days and brought over fresh-baked bread, but that food was gone, so I was needing to make 3 meals a day from scratch… With new ingredients and not having some of our staples (dried fruit, nuts, honey), I was totally exhausted from trying to think of things to make, let alone from actually getting around to doing it. Nick was on call Saturday, so the kids and I were outside by the swing set. I told Moriah, “Sweetheart, I can’t push you on the swing right now. I’m not feeling very good. I’m kind of tired, kind of sad, and my head isn’t working quite right.” She comes over and plants a kiss on my head. “Is it working better now, mommy?” she asked sweetly. What a tender heart. Ever since a very young age, an uncanny young age actually, she has seemed to have a really powerful read on people’s emotions and an ability to respond appropriately. I’ve gotten to this barely-able-to-take-care-of-myself-and-kids point a couple times, and it doesn’t feel very good. In fact, it’s kind of scary. 

I sent out a plea for prayer to virtually everyone on my viber contact list. (Viber is a great app we use here for texting and calling.) I also read some sweet notes in a journal a whole bunch of my best wichita ladies wrote in thanks to my thoughtful friend, Robyn. AND I turned the air conditioning on in the kids’ room to ensure great naps and then took a long one myself. I woke up overwhelmed by the supportive responses and great verses of encouragement from people praying for us. I felt like God had cleared my thinking a bit (my head was starting to work better…) and given me ability to soak in some great truth and encouragement from all these amazing family and friends. 

One friend pointed me to 1 Peter 4 and 5 and shared some verses and encouragement from there. I have been thinking about them often since yesterday afternoon. She pointed out verse 19 and encouraged me to entrust my soul - even and especially - in the middle of my discouragement and depression to my faithful Creator. Thinking of God as the faithful Creator, who does not leave His children alone, was such an encouragement. Also, thinking I can rejoice in my suffering because I can share in Christ’s suffering and therefore have that “bond” with him gave me a glimmer of hope that my pain was meaningful. Isn’t that the hope of the Christian life? Not that God takes away pain and trials, in fact, pain and trials will increase as we commit to follow the One who suffered to the point of giving up his life. But the hope of the Christian life is that God gives meaning to our joy and our pain. Our joy is a taste of the eternal life to come. Our pain is a tool He uses to bond us with Jesus and make us more like Him. For we know that God works all things for the good of those who love Him. A favorite verse that is often taken out of context, “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength,” was so perfect for yesterday because in Philippians 4 Paul is talking about learning to be content in every circumstance, whether having a lot (of convenience and provisions) or whether having nothing. Paul can be content in both of these conditions through God’s strengthening power. When our desire is to have contentment with the conditions God is giving us at the moment, not necessarily to score a touchdown or get straight A’s, we can be assured His strengthening power is ours! So thanks be to God, He gave me faith yesterday to trust him with all my heart, to lean not on my own understanding, but in all my ways, even in my discouraging times, to acknowledge Him as my faithful creator who is with me, who strengthens me, who helps me, who upholds me with His hand, believing that He will make my paths straight! And He did. He gave many tangible blessings on top of the faith to believe in His truth:

  • Moriah showed motivation for the first time to purposefully potty on the toilet, rather than just sitting forever watching cartoons on the toilet until she accidentally potties. And she went twice in the evening.
  • Nick got NO calls overnight so we all slept!!
  • Our trunks arrived this morning and we had granola bars and raisins straight out of the package!!!



And for some comic relief, here’s some pictures of us riding camels. Definitely one of the most awkward things I’ve ever done.  I guess we can cross it off our list! Think of riding a horse that lurches ungracefully with every step and is another 3 feet off the ground. Then add a tired baby who wants to nurse while you try to keep both of you from tumbling to the ground. And a saddle that somehow gives you more pressure points rather than relieving them. And then do that parading around a rural African village with 7 other white people. Yeah, a little awkward. Ha! I think we’re done riding camels ;) It will make for some good memories!


Family pic. I'm wearing the traditional head wrap for married women. I've been reading a book called "Mini-skirts, Mothers & Muslims" about modesty in a Muslim culture and will post on that soon.


Look into mine eye.


Somehow Charlie and I got the tallest camel who led the pack...


And Parker got the runt of the litter who trailed at the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment